Sunday, August 16, 2009

6 years

I remember this day like it was yesterday, but in fact it has been six years. It is amazing how much has changed in the last six years, that my mother has missed out on. It was six years ago that she went to meet her maker in heaven and six years since I became motherless. This post is mainly as a reminder to myself of the events, but also as a memory to my mother.

The day before her passing was the last day I visited and talked with my mother, I remember going to the nursing home where she was for her care and watching my mom go in and out of sleep thinking that, that day she just didn't seem as she had prior days, but instead not as coherent and looked drained. Little did I know that when i awoke her to say good bye and tell her I love her that it would be the last.

The next day I remember that I had to work, so I was not planning to go visit her that day, but get some things done before heading to work. As Scott and I were on our way to work (we both worked at the same place at the time) shortly after we left, I remember about 5 miles down the road I got the phone call from my sister that my mom was not going to make it much longer, and I needed to get there a.s.a.p. Scott and I rushed to were she was which was over an hour drive from us to arrive 5 minutes late of saying our goodbyes. My father also arrived 2 minutes after her death. Although my sister and my mothers aunt were there during her passing singing and reassuring her that God was waiting for her, it was still hard for the rest of us, but we feel blessed that she wasn't alone.

It is amazing how much has changed in 6 years. My mother always wanted grandkids, she said she wanted 2 from each kid, making her a grandmother of 8. Little did she know that at this point she is a grandmother of 7, and when she passed she had 2 grandkids.

Today the boys and I went to the cemetery where she is buried, along with my younger sister and Aunt (my moms aunt, my great aunt) and spent the day with them both. It was a good day to remember who we are as people because of who my mom was to each of us, and the impact she made in each of our lives.

1 comment:

Miss said...

wow...how are you feeling? you talked about the events, but not really your emotions...

6 years. wow.